Execution-focused leader with 12 years of international experience in Online Media, Video and Web Technology. Entrepreneurial “athlete” with hands-on startup launch and market-entry expertise. Award-winning, multi-lingual manager with Fortune 50 background (Procter & Gamble, IBM, Hewlett-Packard). Masters in Engineering and international MBA.
Matteo is an excellent entrepreneur. I am consistently impressed by his ability to assess information quickly, react and think strategically. He has an amazing network, and is wonderful to work with. I’d support him anywhere. – Richard Titus, Future Media Controller, Audio & Music and Mobile, BBC
Online Media and Technology: Executive in the online media and internet services industry since 1998. Deep knowledge of web technologies, acquired by rolling out and managing multi-million dollar systems and applications. Thorough understanding of the digital media, web video and online advertising value chain.
Product Marketing: Launched 2 consumer (online video and social media) and 2 enterprise (advertising and collaboration) internet products. Launched 20+ branded sites and portals. Market-entry strategy, market requirements, metrics, distribution, partnerships and pricing. ROI-driven marketing mix budgeting and execution (web, SEM, email, social media, video, PR).
Startup Management: Early-stage leadership roles in 3 technology startups. Successfully led fund-raising and due diligence. Marketing, business planning, budgeting, recruiting, operations. Advisor to international startups since 2004.
Service Management: Global online services experience with growing project/program size and budget responsibility. Strategy, pricing, profitability analysis, forecasting, optimization. Large-scale IT Service Management (ITIL) implementations.
International Experience: 10 years managing international teams. Launched Procter & Gamble eBusiness operations in Europe (40 countries). Managed on-site and offshore teams in Western and Eastern Europe, Central America and Asia. Lived and worked in Italy, Netherlands, Belgium, Switzerland and USA.
Team Leadership: Built startup team from 0 to 15 people. Line and project leadership of teams up to 60+ people. Consistently rated among top 10% in peer groups. Air Force platoon commander and training officer.
COO / YTS, Inc. / San Francisco, 2007 – 2009
Online video products and targeting technology (TagLift) for video publishers, advertising and social networks. Employee #1 reporting to the CEO, responsible for marketing, financial planning and operations. Board observer.
- Built and managed cross-national team of employees and contractors, setting up marketing operations in the US and offshore development in Europe.
- Completed 3 product launches in 15 months, establishing brand-awareness and visibility within the social media and online video industry in a highly competitive environment.
- Created online video interview series, TagLift Views, to promote launch of advertising matching technology.
- Rolled out low-cost content acquisition programs to jumpstart user content creation.
- Developed and closed advertising revenue-sharing and IP co-development deals.
- Established key investor relationships and sourced 2nd round of angel financing.
Head of Marketing & Business Development / Collanos Software / San Francisco, 2006 – 2007
Software startup developing P2P collaboration solutions with operations in Switzerland, USA and Eastern Europe. Executive team member reporting to the CEO, responsible for product marketing and business development.
- Launched Collanos Workplace in the US market, achieving double-digit monthly user growth.
- Launched web site, email marketing system and social media toolset under severe budget constraints.
- Lead program portfolio execution, including web, SEM, viral, email, CRM, media, channel and customer pilots.
Sr. Manager, Professional Services / Centrata / Redwood City, CA, 2005 – 2005
Venture-backed enterprise software startup (KPCB, Clearstone, Intel). Software implementation leader with responsibility for team management, deliverables and customer satisfaction.
- Led team of 5 to manage Centrata’s largest project engagement at British Petroleum.
- Supported successful sale of services engagement to DHL; created SOWs, estimates and proposals.
- Developed metrics-based best practices and selected tools to ensure repeatable, quality implementations.
- Standardized and “packaged” professional services proposal collateral and RFP, reducing proposal turnaround from 5 days to 24 hours.
Service Manager, Web Managed Services / Hewlett-Packard / Belgium, 2003 – 2004
Responsible for global infrastructure services for Procter & Gamble web properties. Supervised team of 6.
- Managed outsourced web managed services for 200+ web sites.
- Negotiated $3.6m global services contract with Cable & Wireless, reducing operating costs by 25%.
- Achieved business turnaround, ending 3-year loss by increasing revenue and operating margin.
- Led multi-disciplinary disaster recovery project, identifying and preventing potential loss of $12m/day.
- Awarded 2003 HP Services Top Achievers Club Award.
Service Manager, eCommerce / Procter & Gamble / Belgium, 2000 – 2003
Team leader responsible for European region (40 countries) eCommerce infrastructure operations and projects.
- Streamlined European operations, standardized services and managed regional clients, SIs and vendors.
- Started up and led regional eCommerce support team (B2B, B2C, EDI, EAI, ERP and OMS systems).
- Off-shored support services to Philippines service center, resulting in savings of $500,000/year.
- Launched 20+ global and country-specific consumer web sites (e.g. Clairol.com, Spinbrush.com, Crest.com).
- Developed global application deployment methodology, coordinating teams in Asia, North and Latin America.
Project Manager / IBM Global Services / Italy, 1998 – 2000
Project portfolio manager for Southern Europe Global Services PMO, reporting to regional head.
- Led Task Force of 7 on IT logistics and asset management project, freeing up capital for ~$5m and reducing idle equipment by 60%, which enabled the reallocation of funds for urgent capital expenditures.
- Optimized allocation of PC equipment, reducing workstations to users ratio from 1.6 to 1.3, on target.
- Managed portfolio of software deployment, infrastructure and process re-engineering projects.
Training Officer / Italian Air Force / Italy, 1997 – 1998
- Led, trained, and evaluated 500+ Officer Cadets; Platoon Commander; ranked top 3% of peer class.
MBA / IMD (International Institute for Management Development) / Switzerland, 2004
Top international MBA program (Economist, Wall Street Journal, Business Week, Financial Times rankings).
- Consulting project for life sciences startup (Index Ventures): business model and market strategy.
- Consulting project for small appliances manufacturer: Asia/Eastern Europe sourcing strategy.
- Writer of the MBA Diary daily blog.
Laurea (MS) Aerospace Engineering / Politecnico Milano / Italy/Netherlands, 1997
- Erasmus Scholarship: flight simulation research at SIMONA Center, Delft University of Technology, Netherlands.
Project Management (PMI, SDLC) and Service Management (ITIL) certificates.
Activities & Awards
Executive Director & Board Member, BAIA, Business Association Italy America.
Account Director, Taproot Foundation, “The non-profit marketing agency”.
Mind the Bridge Executive Committee, International business plan competition.
Advisor, Silicon Valley and International startups.
Distinction in Leadership, IMD, 2004.
Top Achievers Club Award, Hewlett-Packard, 2003.
Certificates: Project Management (PMI, SDLC) and Service Management (ITIL) methodologies.
Languages: Italian (100% fluency), English (100%), French (50%), Dutch (30%).
US Permanent Resident (Green Card), European Union citizen.